Saturday, July 23, 2011

Farmer's Markets

I started the day by going to a farmer's market, thinking I could get some fresh fruits and vegetables. After the 20 minute drive and a walk through, in nearly 100 degree heat, what was being called a farmer's market, I was bitterly disappointed not only in the lack of "farmers" represented but in the quality and the price of what was available, with the exception of one vendor. The one vendor that did have a few quality items also has an independent market a few miles away - I decided this was where I needed to go.

Calling a couple of friends to accompany me we ventured to the ongoing farmers market where the produce is, for the most part, grown locally. Inside the converted barn, that is now the market, it was over 90 degrees, but yet there were probably nearly 100 people inside picking through an assortment of various fresh fruits, vegetables, and grains.

As I came away with my bags filled with this weeks staples of my newly found diet I felt good and was excited to go home and make some kind of vegan lunch with my treasures. Sauteed zucchini, yellow summer squash, chayote squash, onions, and bell peppers with some leftover quinoa was a fantastic mid-day meal.

The veggies bin in my refrigerator, and one labeled for meat, is full of colorful fruits and vegetables - my next thing is to look for some new recipes and fun ways to fix all my dietary stables.

No comments:

Post a Comment