Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cat's Out Of the Bag

OK, I didn't mean to tell everyone I worked with that I am now vegetarian, it just sort of slipped out, all natural, like I had been one for years, not weeks. For our weekly staff meeting someone brought boxes of Kolaches (pastries/biscuits/rolls usually filled with meats, cheeses, eggs, or fruits). Previously having had checked out the ingredients for the fruit ones I thought I'd try one topped with what turned out to be a mixed berry jelly. Someone tried to get me to try one of the new sausage stuffed ones too, I said "No thank you, I am eating vegetarian these days." I work with healthcare professionals and once I said it I was thinking, "Oh shoot, now I am going to hear all the reasons why this is not a good idea, or why I need to eat meat." But, their reaction was just the opposite, I was met with a round of "That's great!" "Wow, I didn't know, cool." " Oh, I bet you feel better." Someone did ask, "For how long? Since this morning?" I told them it had been a couple of weeks, this time. They all (with one exception) had positive comments. The only one who didn't give positive remarks is one of those who, like most who, for whatever reason, feel threatened by another's choices.

Only one person said anything later. A young office assistant asked what kind of things I eat and how to cook or use tofu. She said she had been wanting to try it but didn't know what to do with it. She said she has a lot of friends who are vegetarian and has always like the foods they cook. She thought that once she was no longer pregnant (as she is craving meats and not too willing to change at this point) she would like to try more vegetarian dishes. That's cool, I think that she will find a lot of things that she likes and might even raise her baby with little or no meat in his diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment